Interior Design Programs of Study
Interior Design Program
Meredith’s interior design major, which leads to a Bachelor of Science degree provides opportunities for students interested in residential, commercial and institutional design.
In our program, which is accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation, you will build skills in space planning, programming, computer-aided design and presentation methods with emphasis on professional practice.
Operating within the context of a liberal arts college, the Interior Design program seeks to enable its students to become creative, critical thinkers. With the College's liberal arts curriculum, the Interior Design program strives to provide students with an awareness of the needs of people, their dependence on, and their interactions with, the larger environment.
The mission of the Interior Design program is to provide a curriculum that prepares students for a positron as an entry-level professional interior designer. The curriculum will equip studnets with communication, creativity, critical thinking, and problem solving skills that will enable them to assist clients, colleagues and the local and global community. The program will provide graduates with skills and experiences that can lead to academic, professional and personal success.
- Analysis of clients' needs, goals and public health and life safety requirements by following a systematic design process.
- Formulation of design concepts and presentation of design recommendations with appropriate media. Prepare of working drawings and specifications taking into consideration compliance with universal accessibility guidelines and all applicable codes.
- Preparation of business documents and review and evaluation of design solutions.
- Synthesis of knowledge gained from a broad-based liberal arts college core and application to the interior design major.
- Demonstration of effective communication skills, collaboration skills, research skills, creative and critical thinking skills, along with leadership, promotion of environmentally responsible design and professional ethics.
Visit the Courses page to learn more about specific courses you will complete as an interior design major. Interior design majors are also required to prepare a portfolio.