Sustainability at Meredith College
Sustainability Resources at Meredith
The beginning of a new year is a good time to be reminded of the sustainability resources available at Meredith for faculty/staff and students.
Paper, plastic and aluminum can be recycled in hall containers or in the large recycling receptacles outside each building at Meredith. These items can also be recycled in desk-side containers in faculty/staff offices.
A list of public recycling bin locations on campus can be found here.
Batteries and light bulbs, cardboard, electronics, glass, newspaper and toner cartridges can also be recycled in specific locations on campus. For details, visit www.meredith.edu/sustainability/recycling.htm for the full list of items that can be recycled at Meredith.
During the spring semester, Meredith College will participate in RecycleMania, a national competition that promotes waste reduction at colleges and universities. Meredith has participated in RecycleMania since 2008. The competition lasts from January 17-March 27, 2010.
Office Supply Reuse
Like swapping unused office supplies? An office supply swap shop is now available year-round at the Copy Center. Faculty/staff members can drop off or take supplies any time the Copy Center is open. Click here to view what is available now.
Energy Saving Tips
1.Turn off lights in offices and classrooms when leaving the room. Fluorescent lights on campus (CFLs included) consume 13-42 watts each.
2.Turn off your computer, monitor, printer and speakers, at the power strip if possible at the end of the day. While asleep, these can draw up to 30 watts each, according to www.energysavers.gov.
3.Unplug chargers for mobile electronic devices (cell phones, laptops, etc.). Only 5% of the power drawn by a cell phone charger is used to charge the phone; the other 95% is wasted when it is left plugged into the wall, according to .www.terrapass.com.
For more information on sustainability at Meredith, visit www.meredith.edu/sustainabilty.