Why major in Religious and Ethical Studies?
Living in a global context requires sensitive understanding and critical evaluation of religious identities and ethical perspectives. Our major in Religious and Ethical Studies gives students the necessary knowledge and skills that will enable them to:
- Analyze the complex ways in which religion, culture and history interconnect
- Gain cultural competence that prepares them to live and work in multicultural contexts
- Utilize a variety of approaches to moral reasoning and ethical reflection
- Apply ethical concepts to professional and public issues or policy
- Broaden students’ understanding of themselves and the world around them
The major in Religious and Ethical Studies prepares students for a wide range of careers and/or graduate programs, including:
- Civic Leadership
- Human Resources
- International Studies
- Public Policy
- Social Work
Students who major in Religious and Ethical Studies can find jobs almost everywhere. Your major is an important factor in landing a job, but keep in mind it is not the only one. Also important are your minor, part-time jobs, internships, volunteer work and extra-curricular activities. The faculty of the Religious and Ethical Studies department can help you design a program to achieve your goals. Please call, e-mail, or come by our offices if you would like to talk more about your future.
Click here to read about what alumnae of Meredith's Religious Studies program are doing now.