International Students - Local Resources
The Raleigh/Durham International Airport is located about 10 miles west of Raleigh off Interstate 40. Airlines serving the Raleigh/Durham area are Air Canada, Air Tran, America West, American, Continental, Delta, Independence Air, Midway, Northwest, Southwest, United, and U.S. Air. For reservations, you should contact the airline or a travel agent. A travel agent will be able to give you the prices and timetables.
Train service in the U.S. is less frequent than in some other countries of the world. The Raleigh train station is located downtown at 320 W. Cabarrus Street. Most passenger rail service in the United States is handled by AMTRAK.
For information on AMTRAK service throughout the United States, see their website at www.amtrak.com/. Information on local arrival and departure times is available at 833-7594 or on the web site. Timetables and maps are available at the station.
Greyhound/Trailways Bus Lines provide bus service between Raleigh and other North Carolina cities and beyond. For information call 828-2567 or see their web site at http://www.greyhound.com/.
The Capital Area Transit (CAT) operates 19 bus routes within Raleigh. Routes serve major shopping centers and malls, the Raleigh downtown area, and city hospitals.
- The #4 bus route goes to downtown Raleigh and Crabtree Valley Shopping Mall.
- The fare is 75 cents per ride.
- There is a bus stop located outside the main entrance of Meredith on Hillsborough Street and another outside the pedestrian entrance in the back of the campus on Wade Avenue.
- For more information, see their web site at http://www.raleigh-nc.org/transit/INDEX.HTM
The Wolfline bus serves North Carolina State University (NCSU) and surrounding areas.
- If you take a class at NCSU, want to use their library, or simply want to get to the shops and restaurants on Hillsborough Street, you can use the Wolfline bus to get to class.
- This transportation is free.
- A bus stop is located outside the main entrance of Meredith on Hillsborough Street in front of the costume store.
- For more information call 515-3424 or see their web site at http://www2.acs.ncsu.edu/trans/transportation/wolfline/index.html
The Student Health Center can help you with colds and otehr minor health issues. There is a doctor available on campus during certain times of the week for general questions and examinations. Please check with the Health Center for more information.
For more serious emergencies, the closest hospital to Meredith is Rex Hospital at 4420 Lake Boone Trail, telephone 783-3100.
Other hospitals in Raleigh are:
- Wake Medical Center, 3000 New Bern Avenue, telephone 250-8000
- Raleigh Community Hospital, 3400 Wake Forest Road, 954-3000
For information on selecting physicians or dentists, call Wake County Medical Society, telephone 821-2227 or the NC Dental Society at 832-1222. In the event of an accident or sickness, if on campus, you should report to Student Health Services immediately. If away from campus, notify the Student Health Services as soon as possible.
The nearest grocery stores are Whole Foods Market in Ridgewood Shopping Center, located behind the campus; Food Lion, located off Lake Boone Trail; and Harris Teeter located in Cameron Village, and a Harris Teeter located in Olde Raleigh Shopping Center on Edwards Mill Road. The K-Mart on Western Boulevard has low prices on sheets, towels, clothes, and many other items. The nearest pharmacy (for prescription drugs, medical aids, toiletries, personal hygiene needs and greeting cards) is Eckerd Drugs in Ridgewood Shopping Center.
The Farmer's Market (1201 Agriculture Street near Dorothea Dix Hospital, call 733-7417 for directions) offers the best selection and prices for fresh fruits and vegetables. Noah's Co-op (745 W. Johnson Street, 834-5056) has natural foods, grains and spices at reduced prices. You must join Noah's to receive a discount, but the membership fee is worth it if you use a lot of grains or cheese.
International Food Stores (Call ahead to check market hours and numbers)
- Asia Market, 101 Nottingham Dr., Cary (in South Hills Mall) 467-2005
- Casa Las Americas, 101B Reed Street, Cary, 380-0065
- Far East Market, Brentwood Shopping Center (near New Hope Church Road) 872-7489
- Harar International Market, 2109 Avent Ferry Road 664-8151
- Jan Chee Supermarket, 1007 Method Road 834-9888
- Lotte Oriental Food Market, Oak Park Shopping Center, 571-7777
- Mamta Emporium, 5655 Western Boulevard, Harrelson Park Shopping Center, 851-7931
- Mr. Dunderbak's Old World Deli and Cafe, Crabtree Valley Mall, 781-7075 European foods, candy drinks, cheeses, and sausage.
- Neomonde Bakery--Deli and Market, 3817 Beryl Road, 828-1628
- Nur Grocery, 2233 Avent Ferry Road, Mission Valley Shopping Center, 828-1523 Middle Eastern foods, spices, and Arabic language materials.
- Oriental Store, 3601 Capital Boulevard, 876-6911
- Triangle Indian Market, 740 E. Chatman Street, Cary 380-0350
- Triangle Oriental Market, 5003-G Falls of the Neuse, 790-7044