Meredith College Emergency Planning Updates 2007-08
Meredith’s Incident Management Team completed the following items during the 2007-08 academic year.
- Incident Management Team and other interested faculty and staff attended crisis management workshop at Meredith presented and facilitated by Dean of Students and Marketing/News Director of Clemson University
- Marketing staff created emergency preparedness/planning web site
- MC Alert emergency notification system was launched in April 2008
- First wave of MC Alert training completed for most of Incident Response Team members and their designees (2nd wave to be completed this summer)
- Campus-wide siren installed and tested in April/May 2008
- College’s Incident Response Plans reviewed by Incident Management Team
- Team members reviewed and discussed findings and recommendations of the Campus Safety Task Force Report
- MC Dean of Students attended first NCICU Campus Safety Meeting held at High Point University in February 2008 – campus safety task force report was reviewed and discussed and college representatives met to discuss plans in response to the report
- MC Director of Health Services and Director of Counseling Center attended the second NCICU Campus Safety meeting in June 2008 to continue work on responses to the campus safety task force report
- Fire drills conducted for all campus buildings in spring 2008
- All Meredith College campus police staff completed National Incident Management System (NIMS)/Incident Command System(ICS) training in spring 2008.
- Incident Management Team invited a member of the special operations unit within the Raleigh Police Department to campus in February 2008 to discuss active shooter plans and interventions and what roles Meredith Campus Police and Incident Response Team would have in responding to an active shooter scenario
- MC Dean of Students, Director of Residence Life and Chief of Campus Police attended a webinar on the Clery Act held at College attorney’s office in fall 2007.
- Wallet-sized card with names and contact numbers for those on Incident Response Team was laminated and distributed to team members
- “Identifying Distressed Students and Making Effective Referrals” information sheet included on Counseling Center and Dean of Students web sites. Counseling Center Director and Dean of Students met with FYE instructors during fall 2007 teaching circle to present information about identifying and referring distressed students to campus resources
- Campus police conducted inventory of locks on campus building doors – reported to facilities services in 2007-08.