The Center for Women in Science and Mathematics
The Center will, educate, support, and promote women as leaders in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
The Center will:
- Educate women in the areas of science, mathematics, and technology.
- Support women throughout their development in science, mathematics, and technology as they identify and work to solve issues in their communities.
- Promote research, connections, and partnerships between Meredith College and the community at large.
The work of the Center will:
- establish and support an advisory committee that will include community partners, business leaders, scientists, and engineers to aid in the identification and development of activities;
- sponsor a seminar series, conversations, and discussions of science, mathematics, and technology;
- encourage and support undergraduate research;
- facilitate internships, co-ops, and laboratory/research opportunities for women in the sciences, mathematics, and technology;
- provide female role models and mentors for students at all levels;
- encourage STEM careers as pathways for women;
- promote teaching K-12 mathematics and science as a career option for women;
- provide continuing education and professional development for K-12 teachers in science and mathematics;
- support teacher/researchers in testing, evaluation, and dissemination of results that could inform K-12 education;
- offer K-12 outreach programs for young women and girls;
- create opportunities for leadership, mentoring, and networking;
- maximize grant writing opportunities to support the Center’s broad education, research, and workforce initiatives in science, mathematics, and technology.