How are the date and location selected for Commencement?
A number of factors influence the date chosen to celebrate Commencement, including the academic calendar and the availability of the venue required to accommodate members of the graduating class and their families. The date for Commencement is selected two years in advance.
This year’s Commencement ceremony will be held in J.S. Dorton Arena to allow room for an exceptionally large graduating class and their families. The other two events related to Commencement, Class Day and Baccalaureate, will take place on Meredith’s campus.
Is Dorton Arena wheelchair accessible?
When you enter Dorton Arena, you and one guest will be directed to a wheelchair accessible area. There are four wheelchair accessible sections and each section holds 20 people. Accessible seating is also available on the floor of Dorton Arena. You may access handicapped parking through Gate 2 on the right side of the street.
What if it rains?
In the event of inclement weather on Friday, May 10, Class Day will be held in Jones Auditorium. Both the Baccalaureate Worship Service and Commencement will take place indoors and therefore will not be affected by inclement weather.
What is the meaning behind the robes and other symbols of Commencement?
Academic regalia and other elements of Meredith’s commencement ceremony signify longstanding traditions of higher education and academia.
• Meredith College Named to Top 15 Fashion Schools in the South more
• Meredith Faculty Member Named SHRM Advisor of the Year more
• 2013 Alumnae Awards Presented more
• Best-Selling Author Khaled Hosseini to Appear at Meredith more
• 2013 Komen Race for the Cure to Be Held at Meredith more
• Meredith Athletics Offering Tennis, Basketball, Soccer and Volleyball Summer Camps more
• Meredith Holds 2013 Commencement more