Apartment Style Housing Facts
- The apartments are located on the southwest quadrant of campus in front of Ledford Hall and behind the Science and Mathematics Building.
- The apartment building consists of 48 units each containing four bedrooms and two bathrooms, and 30 units containing two bedrooms and two bathrooms. All bedrooms are designed for single occupancy.
- Each apartment includes a living/dining area, a kitchen with full-sized appliances, and a full sized washer and dryer.
- The three-story structure can house up to 252 residents and will feature approximately 105,000 square feet of living and common space.
- Common spaces include:
- A reception lobby;
- Several meeting, seminar and/or lounge spaces;
- An outdoor patio area; and
- A mail room
- Construction began in Spring 2008 and opened for occupancy in Fall 2009. The Design/Build team for the apartment project was Choate Construction Company, Harper Aiken Donahue and Partners (architects) and BJAC (architects).
- The exterior of the building will incorporate brick and other finishes consistent with other campus buildings, particularly Jones Chapel and the original core campus buildings.
The College built the apartments in an environmentally-friendly manner and was awarded LEED Silver certification for the building. The Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System™ is the nationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction and operation of high performance green buildings.
- Planning for the $22 million project has been guided by a 25-member steering committee that includes college personnel, alumnae, trustees and students.