Career counseling and coaching are available to help you assess where you are in your career and/or current job and where you intend to be in the next few years. To effectively manage your career, we offer the following suggestions:
- Assess your strengths, interests, values, skills, preferences,
- Find a mentor to encourage and support you in making decisions and determining direction.
- Make contact, at least monthly, with colleagues in your field, both inside and outside your organization.
- Always have a current resume (helps you to keep your skills up-to-date and be ready when opportunities
- Take classes or workshops to learn new skills.
- Assume responsibility for what happens in your career; make changes when necessary.
- Volunteer for projects through which you can learn skills, be visible within the organization, and make contact with influential people.
- Maintain records of your involvement and accomplishments and share these at appropriate times, particularly during your annual review.
- Develop your personal, social and career goals for the next 5 years.
To talk about managing your career, make an appointment by contacting the front desk staff of Academic & Career Planning.