The Meredith Teaching Fellows Program will instill a sense of mission, service and professionalism as we "educate women to excel" as model teachers and future leaders in North Carolina's public schools.
The following are the goals of the Teaching Fellows Program as established by the Teaching Fellows Commission.
- To provide an academically and culturally enriched preparation program that extends beyond the regular college program.
- To provide opportunities and experiences that encourage the development of leaders and decision makers.
- To provide opportunities for building an understanding of education's place in a great social context.
- To instill a sense of mission, service, and professionalism in the Teaching Fellows.
- To improve the image of teacher education candidates and programs campus—wide.
- To recruit and retain greater numbers of minority teacher education candidates in North Carolina.
After completion of the Teaching Fellows Program, Meredith Teaching Fellows will:
- Embrace a sense of mission, service and professionalism through service-learning, classroom volunteerism and training in preparation for classroom teaching.
- Respond socially and ethically to a diverse society and global community in preparation for inclusive teaching.
- Develop leadership skills and decision making skills in preparation for reflective practice and classroom teaching.
- Exhibit an appreciation for an academically and culturally enriched preservice program in preparation for classroom teaching.