Upcoming Service Activities for Inauguration
We are asking everyone to please pledge at least 5 hours of service to the campus and/or community in honor of Dr. Allen’s first year as president. This can include service since last August or upcoming events. The following provides details on a few upcoming activitieS, which include a dance-a-thon, Habitat work day, benefit concert, and ongoing tutoring program.
A visual display will be available in March to log our service pledge; watch e-news for more information.
Click HERE for other service ideas.
FEBRUARY 24, 7pm—FEBRUARY 25, 7am
JOHNSON HALL ROTUNDA
The Class of 2012 is hosting a Dance-A-Thon at Meredith with proceeds benefitting Sisters United, a Class of 2013 project that helps girls from Kenya and Ghana receive an education. This year’s Dance-A-Thon will have door prizes, games, food, a breakfast buffet (with purchase), entertainment, and of course, DANCING! There will be about two hour increments of different music and each two hour segment will have theme. Some themes include: Cornhuskin’ fun, Today’s Hits, Line Dancing Madness, Request hour, International Hour, and one big SURPRISE!
Get a team together and compete against each other in a friendly competition!
How to start:
· Each team has to have a team name and a minimum of four members.
· The team has to be unified meaning they all have to wear the same outfit/shirt to show a unifying group.
· AT LEAST ONE member of the team has to be on the dance floor at all times.
To sign up, there is an online registration website which will open Feb. 1st or during the week of the Dance-A-Thon there will be a registration table in the Cate center from 10-2 pm.
To participate you need to:
1. Start getting pledges from friends, coworkers, neighbors, & relatives. Pledges can be anywhere from $1.00 to any amount.
2. Raise as much as you can, but each team needs to raise AT LEAST $70.00 to participate.
3. You can participate as an individual with a minimum of $20 pledge to participate.
4. Put on your dancing shoes and come to Johnson Hall at Meredith College on Friday night, February 24th at 7:00PM with your pledges.
· Each team must raise AT LEAST $70.00.
· An individual must raise AT LEAST $20.00.
· Each person will sign up individually.
· Each team raising $150 or more will be able to put their name in a drawing to receive a BIG PRIZE!
· Prizes will be given to the 2 people that raise the MOST money!
· Prizes will also be awarded to the team with the best costume or outfit!
· If you are unable to attend, but would like to make a donation to the Dance A Thon, please make checks payable to “Meredith College” and send to the Class of 2012 at Meredith College with reference to Mary Katheryn Howard or Hannah Massey. The address is 3800 Hillsborough Street Raleigh, NC 27606
If you don’t want to join a team but want to come, here are some prices that could help you out too!
· Price at door without food: Donation of $5
· Price at door WITH food: $10
HABITAT FOR HUMANITY WORK DAY
FEBRUARY 26, 1-5pm
We have reserved 30 spots for students, faculty, staff, and alumnae to participate in a build day at a house in the Long Acres neighborhood in Southeast Raleigh. We will provide transportation.
To Sign Up:
- Click HERE for the registration form.
- Once you complete the registration form, you will be emailed a copy of the general release and medical information form.
- You will also be emailed a link to sign-up with Habitat.
For questions or more information contact Tabitha Underwood at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Meredith Garden Revitalization program is underway. Be a part of the team that makes the Three Sisters Garden a showplace. We need helping hands for assembling raised beds, filling with dirt, planting seedlings, watering, etc. Kick off is tentatively scheduled for the third week in March. Everyone in the Meredith community -- students, faculty, administrators, other employees -- are invited to volunteer and make an immediate impact on campus through this garden makeover. To sign up or find out more details, contact Caroline May at mayCarol@email.Meredith.edu.
NC SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING FAIR
Young scientists from across the state will gather at Meredith College in Raleigh, setting up Friday, March 23rd for competition on Saturday, March 24, for the 25th N.C. Science and Engineering Fair (NCSEF). Students from 3rd grade through 12th grade will present their original science and engineering research. NCSEF showcases the highest level of student achievement in the state. Students competing in the NCSEF were selected from 10 regional competitions.
Volunteer Needs: 40-50 student volunteers and around 10 faculty and staff
APRIL 14, 3:30-7:30 P.M.
Join us for the annual Spring Fling event sponsored by the Meredith Entertainment Association!!
This year, Spring Fling will be a benefit concert for the Meredith Autism Program. We will have three bands, and DJ, food, and much more. The event itself is free; however, food and some activities will require a fee. All donations collected during the event will go directly to the Austism Program. You can also bring gently used toys and book to donate to the program.
Ways to Help:
- Simply come to the event to support MEA and the Meredith Autism Program
- Might need assistance setting up, cleaning up, and working the event. If interested please email MEA at email@example.com.
For more information, contact the Meredith Entertainment Association at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tutoring at Passage Home
The Chaplain's Office is partnering with Passage Home, a Raleigh urban ministry center, and the Shaw University Child Development Center to form a poverty initiative based on the work of Geooffrey Canada with the Harlem Children's Zone in New York City. Volunteer opportunities are available to the Meredith community at Passage Home's After School Program through this initiative.
For more information and to sign up, contact Kristin Kirby at email@example.com
DAISY TRADE REUSE STORE
Meredith's reuse store, The Daisy Trade, is currently in need of volunteers. Duties include helping market the store to attract both shoppers and donations, keeping the store clean and organized, restocking merchandise from the storage closet, and organizing the storage closet. If interested in volunteering, please contact Emily Huang at firstname.lastname@example.org