Meredith College, an independent, private women's college located in Raleigh, N.C., offers a transformative educational experience. The College's rigorous curriculum and leadership development programs prepare graduates for successful lives as engaged global citizens and leaders. Since its opening in 1899, Meredith has expanded to become one of the largest private women's colleges in the U.S. Campus life at Meredith is shaped by nearly 2,000 students representing 31 states and 41 countries.
- Majors offered: 32
- Undergraduate degrees offered: B.A., B.S., B.M., B.S.W.
- Graduate degrees offered: MAT, MBA, M.Ed., M.S.N.
- Student/faculty ratio: 12:1
- Average class size: 17
- Total enrollment: 1,980
- Graduate enrollment: 273
- Students receiving financial assistance or grants: 90%+
- Amount of financial assistance coordinated: $42.5 million+
- Student clubs and organizations: 90+
- Leadership offices: 600+
- Division III athletic teams:7
- Percentage of students who participate in undergraduate research: 48%.
- Percentage of students participating in study abroad: 33%
- Jobs posted on Career Center's career management system: 1,232
- Percentage of students employed or pursuing graduate study within 9 months of graduation: 90.3%
- Of alumnae surveyed five years after graduation: 96% would choose Meredith if they could begin college again, and 98% would recommend Meredith to others.
- 90% of Meredith students rated their entire educational experience as good or excellent
- Alumnae living in all 50 States and abroad: 18,000+
- Ranked 3rd among colleges in the South by U.S. News & World Report.
- Ranked 9th for "Best Value" among colleges in the South by U.S. News & World Report.
- Ranked among the top 20% of colleges in the country by Forbes.
- One of the “Best Colleges in the Southeast” according to Princeton Review.
- Named “One of 4 Great Colleges in the Southeast” by StudentAdvisor.com.
Academics and Special Programs
- The Undergraduate Research Program supports student/faculty partnerships in the pursuit of research and creative activity in all fields. College funds support these projects and underwrite travel costs for students presenting their work at conferences.
- Study abroad options include a semester-long program in Sansepolcro, Italy, with additional opportunities worldwide including Costa Rica, Iceland and France. Semester programs at the United Nations in New York City or in Washington, D.C. are also available.
- Honors program is offered, with special classes, individualized study and research, travel opportunities and enrichment activities.
- Internships and Cooperative Education are available in all areas of study.
- The Cooperating Raleigh Colleges consortium allows students to take courses at other Raleigh colleges and universities.
- Meredith offers a dual degree program with NC State University's College of Engineering.
- Freshmen/sophomore retention rate is 71.4%
- Six-year graduation rate: 59.5% (national average is 53%)
- Post-baccalaureate certificate programs at Meredith include a Paralegal Program, Dietetic Internship Program, Pre-Health Program and a Didactic Program in Dietetics.
- Meredith offers coeducational graduate programs in business, nutrition and education.
- The undergraduate student-faculty ratio is approximately 12:1. The average class size is 17.
- There are 121 full-time teaching faculty members and 93% of full-time professors have earned doctoral or other terminal degrees. Sixty-seven percent of the full-time faculty is female and 33% is male.
Campus and Facilities
- Meredith College is located in Raleigh, North Carolina's capital city. Meredith students are part of the more than 108,000 college students who reside in the Research Triangle Park area, the country's premiere research and development hub.
- Meredith's 225-acre campus includes a 1,200-seat amphitheater on a lake, seven residence halls and new student apartments, a music library, art galleries, a research greenhouse, music practice rooms, auditoriums, a theater, concert halls, a student center, computer labs, a child care lab, a learning center, an autism lab, an astronomy observation deck, an indoor swimming pool, a fitness center, a dance studio, lighted tennis courts, a putting green, an athletic field and track complex and two miles of greenway connecting our campus to the community.
- Carlyle Campbell Library has more than 190,000 volumes, 16,000 microforms and 3000 newspaper and journal subscriptions.
- The science and mathematics building includes unique classroom settings, specialized labs and a telescope observatory deck.
- Meredith sponsors frequent lectures, juried student exhibitions, an active concert schedule, visiting artists and exhibitions featuring professional artists.
- Students participate in theatre and dance performance troupes and a variety of vocal and instrumental ensembles.
- Meredith students advance their leadership skills in programs such as the Emerging Leader Seminar Series, Officer and Advisor Training, Sloan Family Leadership Program, Sophie Lanneau Women's Leadership Development Program and the LeaderShape®Institute.
- Meredith Avenging Angels compete in seven NCAA Division III sports: basketball, soccer, volleyball, tennis, softball, cross-country and lacrosse. The Avenging Angels were USA South Athletic Conference tournament champions in tennis and soccer for the 2008-09 season, and women's soccer conference champions in the 2009-10 regular season.
- Meredith athletic teams compete in the USA South Athletic Conference. Membership in a conference enhances the quality of our student-athlete experience.
- Meredith's Aqua Angels are a synchronized swimming group, performing twice per academic year.
Accreditation and Degrees
- Meredith College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097; telephone 404-679-4501) to award bachelor's and master's degrees.
- Meredith is also accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, Council on Social Work Education, Council for Interior Design Accreditation, North Carolina State Department of Public Instruction, National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education, Commission on Accreditation for Dietetics Education of the American Dietetic Association, and Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International.
Tuition and Financial Assistance
- Tuition and fees for full-time undergraduate students in 2012-13 is $29,186, with room and board at $8,348, for a total of $37,534.
- Meredith provided $15.1 million in scholarships and grants to students in 2011-12.
- In 2011-12, Meredith coordinated $42.5 million in financial assistance.
- Over 90% of Meredith students receive financial assistance or grants.